Welcome to Solar Base Chemicals: The Open Research and Development Center for CLEAN Solar-Chemical, Solar-Thermal, Solar-Thermochemical Solutions led by Professor Isabell Thomann!
1) Produce hydrogen directly from water and sunlight (without an electrical cord and without emission of greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane [1, 2])
2) Produce hydrogen from methane and sunlight. Methane [1, 2] (natural gas) generates only half the amount of carbon dioxide emissions when burned compared to coal. Our goal is to turn methane into TWO products, hydrogen and solid carbon products, that get rid of all carbon dioxide emissions.
Why should you fund Our Center?
- Because with your help we can easily bring this mission to completion.
- Because our Center welcomes people from all over the world.
- Because our mission is to provide simple, clean, safe and affordable chemical solutions for direct conversion of sunlight to hydrogen without emissions of carbon dioxide and methane by using abundant sources including (sea) water (from sewage & purification plants).
- Because we would like to include you on our journey, learn from you on our next steps and share our knowledge with you.
- Because we want to generate a diversified talent pool.
We aim to leverage advances in both these areas to create novel materials and nanostructures, to study their fundamental properties (optical, electrical and photoelectrochemical), and use them to solve practical problems, e.g. in the areas of energy and photocatalysis. Our research is highly interdisciplinary, and benefits from interactions between researchers across all disciplines of engineering and science, including ECE, chemical engineering, materials science, physics, chemistry and biology!
Please feel free to contact us for more information!