– Congratulations Thejaswi for winning the 2015 Evans Attwell/Welch Postdoctoral Fellowship!
– The Launch Symposium on “Quantum Materials: Perspectives and Opportunities” is taking place soon! Learn more about the new Rice Center for Quantum Materials here RCQM Launch Symposium.pdf
– The IEEE Photonics Houston Chapter was selected as the 2014 IPS Most Improved Chapter Award Winner!
Congratulations to Dr. Isabell Thomann, Shah Mohammad Bahauddin, Dr. Bujin Guo and John Maida for their chapter revitalization efforts!
Stay tuned for the next events!
– In Fall 2014, I will be offering a course Nanophotonics, Spectroscopy, and Materials for Sustainability (Elec 661)!
– August 2014: Congratulations to Hossein for winning the RQI Choice award 2014 for his oral presentation!
– August 2014: Our LANP team, together with other Rice faculty members, won an NSF Major Research Instrumentation (MRI) award! Congratulations!
– July 2014: Great news – Isabell just won an NSF CAREER award!
– Our group participates at the “Nano Days” events at the Children’s Museum of Houston.
Chloe demonstrates how he can determine the thickness of a hair with the help of a laser pointer. Hossein and Shah demonstrate how different size gold nanoparticles absorb and transmit different laser colors.
– As part of our engagement in IEEE Photonics Society, we invited Dr. Simon Poole, a distinguished innovator and entrepreneur to share more than 30 years of his experience in Photonics in Herzstein Hall, Rice U on December 2013. The talk aimed to inspire researchers who are considering how to perfect their invention and commercialize their research into the growing industry. “Confessions of a Serial Entrepreneur : 30 Years of Photonic Start-ups in Academia and Industry” was an exciting session for any student and scholar who aim to start entrepreneurial endeavor in near future.
To know more about our activities in IEEE Photonics Society, please click : http://ieeephotonics.rice.edu/
– We have successfully arranged the ARO Workshop on Surface Plasmons, Metamaterials, and Catalysis on October 21-23, 2013 – Visit: http://www.ece.rice.edu/ece/PlasEnhCat2013/PlasEnhCat2013/PlasEnhCat2013.html. The goal of this workshop was to explore the opportunities for chemical catalysis arising from recent revolutionary advances in the fields of metamaterials and plasmonics. We are very happy that the workshop had brought together scientists from the disciplines of electrochemistry, catalysis, and plasmonics, which have not traditionally had a common platform.
– In Fall 2013, I will be offering a new course Nanophotonics, Spectroscopy, and Materials for Sustainability (Elec 691)!
– Welcome Yun-Liang!
Yun-Liang will join our lab as a senior scientist on August 1!
He comes with an extensive background in ultrafast laser science, and will be in charge of initial experiments on our great up-and-coming wavelength-tunable femtosecond amplifier system.
Yun-Liang, we’re happy to have you here!
– Summer 2013: Isabell is giving a presentation to a fantastic crowd of 9th graders from a variety of Houston schools at Rice’s “Energy Explorations Academy”, a School of Science & Technology outreach program!
– In Spring 2013, I will be teaching a new course Materials for Energy and Photocatalysis (Elec 565).